Stephen began sonography in 1990, obtained the Diploma of Medical Ultrasound (General) and the Diploma of Medical Ultrasound (Vascular). In 2003 he was awarded a Masters of Medical Sonography from the University of South Australia.
He has a strong commitment to advancing Ultrasound in Australia and he has been a member of the:
- Australian Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (ASUM) Safety Committee
- ASUM Federal Council
- Australian Sonographers Association (ASA) Federal Council
- Chairman of the Australasian Sonographer Accreditation Registry (ASAR)
- Chairman of the Diploma of Medical Ultrasound (DMU) Board of Examiners.
Stephen was previously the Charge Sonographer at Benson Radiology in Adelaide and is the Australian School of Medical Imaging (ASMI) Musculoskeletal Sonography Training Coordinator. He is considered one of the pre-eminent musculoskeletal sonographers in the Country and in this role he lectures and demonstrates ultrasound to both sonographers and sonologists throughout the country and overseas.
National & International Speaker
He has been an invited speaker to national and international ultrasound meetings including:
- 2001 & 2002 ASUM Annual Scientific Meeting
- 2002 Sports Medicine Association State Conference
- 2003 ASA National Conference
- 2004 ASUM NZ Branch meeting
- 2004 ASUM 34th Annual Scientific Meeting
- 2004 ASA National Conference
- 2005 ASUM Multi Disciplinary Workshop
- 2005 ASA National Conference
- 2006 ASUM Multi Disciplinary Workshop
- 2006 ASA National Conference
- 2006 ASUM 36th Annual Scientific meeting
- 2007 ASUM annual scientific meeting
- 2007 AFSUMB, Bangkok Thailand
- 2008 ASUM Multi disciplinary workshop
- 2008 ASUM Annual Scientific Meeting
- 2009 ASA National Conference
- 2009 World Ultrasound Federation of Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology (WUFUMB) annual meeting
- 2009 General Surgeons Australia Annual Scientific Meeting
- 2010 ASUM Multidisciplinary Workshop
- 2010 ASA Annual National Conference
- He was convener of the ASA 1998 National Conference,
- Trade Convener ASUM 1999 Annual Scientific Meeting,
- Convener of Musculoskeletal program for ASUM 2004 Multidisciplinary Workshop
- Co-convener of the 2002 ASUM / ASA SA Branch Joint Paediatric Ultrasound Seminar
- Co-convener of the ASUM 2005 Annual Scientific Meeting
- Co-convener of the WFUMB international congress
- Musculoskeletal Program in 2009
He has been highly acclaimed for his work many times receiving awards, including:
2010 ASA Annual National Conference, Best Clinical Presentation
2008 Honorary Fellow of ASUM in recognition of his services to the industry.
2006 WFUMB International Congress “Young Investigator” Bronze Award
2006 ASUM Annual Scientific Meeting Best Original Research Presentation
2006 ASUM NZ Branch Meeting Best Poster Presentation
2006 ASUM Giulia Franco Teaching Fellowship.
2002 The ASA Sonographer Achievement Award
His clinical practice case mix is that of a general sonographer, performing a broad range of general and vascular examinations. He has a special interest in vascular, small parts and musculoskeletal ultrasound and has published numerous papers on these topics. Including:
“A new method for ultrasound evaluation of the iliopsoas tendon insertion”
“A new method for ultrasound evaluation of the distal biceps brachii tendon”
Both in Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2006.